What could get in our way this weekend?
- rain? may be...but...as you know... Rain or Shine, we run!
- Women's March? nope...You might have heard: Women's March is happening in Oakland this coming Saturday! The March meets at 10:00am at Madison Park and starts walking towards the lake at 11:00am. We'll be done by then so just come run!
OUR PLAN: BE DONE by 10:15AM!
- All students will run one loop around the lake. This will be a timed run!
- Relax! The timed run is NOT a tryout. Everybody is IN already! It will just help us organize the groups and match run mentors to each group.
- This is your own timed run , don't try to run at your friends' pace!
- Don't go with your friends who are much faster than you!
- Don't stay with your friends who are much slower than you!
- The faster students (under 35-40 minutes) will run an extra mile...
IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE SO YET:
ONE MORE THING: January 21 is the last day to register for the Half Marathon Training!
Practice #5, on Saturday, February 4th, will be a 5K timed run at Crissy Fields in San Francisco
- We are reserving a bus to get us there: Bus will leave Oakland (Camron-Stanford House) at 7:45am. That's earlier than usual practice! Can you make it?
- We'll run from 9am to 10am and get back on the bus at 10am to make it back to Oakland by 11:30am.
- WE NEED A HEADCOUNT: Sign the Permission Slip (link)
Top 20 reasons to join RBO
compiled by Jacqueline Arnoldy, RBO Volunteer & Oakland Tech Teacher
- crossing the finish line in a big race with lots of people cheering is an unforgettable feeling
- no running experience is necessary
- any running pace is welcome
- build community with others
- expand your horizons
- be brave and get out of your comfort zone
- make you, your family, your teacher, your school and your city proud
- be a trendsetter and a leader
- running with a group is so much easier and more fun than running alone
- get a water bottle, a t-shirt and running gears and food at practice
- get free entry to some races (just for fun) including one in S.F. for 6th-12th graders (transport provided)
- (6th-12th graders) make professional connections and network with adult volunteers in various careers
- (6th-12th graders) earn community service hours helping the K-5 students play games and run
- meet students from all over Oakland & the Bay Area
- get in shape or at least better shape
- be healthier by getting more exercise and some nutrition tips
- balance the stress of academics and life with physical activity
- (9th-12th graders)it is a unique activity to add to your extracurricular list on a college application
- (9th-12th graders)it is potentially a wonderful essay topic for your college application
- setting a challenging goal & working hard to accomplish it feels great
REMINDER: WIN 2 tickets to a matinee at Grand Lake Theatre?
- BRING YOUR FRIENDS to run with RBO!
- You love spending your Saturday mornings with RBO? Share the fun with your friends!
- For each friend you refer to RBO, you'll get one entry to our raffle.
- Just make sure your friends tell us when they enroll...
- RAFFLE Drawing #1 will happen on Saturday, January 21
- Start spreading the word now! We'll have up to 3 unique winners drawn
- ONE RULE ONLY: Your friend has to be new to RBO! never run a season with us!
TIP OF THE WEEK: Hold your horses / Pace Yourself!
for this week timed run, remember this:
- First mile: Control your pace! You should be able to exchange words with your mentor and fellow runners for the first mile.
- Second mile: you can pick up the pace now.
- Third mile: Keep running, push as hard as you can for the last half mile.
- Going out too fast? reset! walk- breathe.
- if you can’t run anymore: try to alternate walking and running and try to speed up the pace on the last mile.
- "Slow and Steady wins the race!" ever heard of the Aesop's Fable: the tortoise and the hare?
BIG DATES TO REMEMBER IN 2017
Saturday, January 21 -
Last chance to register for the Half Marathon Training for High School and Middle School Students
Saturday, February 4th -
Practice at Crissy Fields in SF ( bus trip for Middle School and High School Students)
Saturday, February 11th -
First Practice for all 5K runners
Sunday, February 26th -
LMJS Couple Relay (5K * 2) **
Sunday, April 2nd -
Oakland Running Festival **