Why an RBO Team?
RBO provides students in your Team with:
- registration to multiple races
- tech running shirts, water bottles, sneakers (where needed)
- coached support for a 11-week program (half) in Spring 18
- coached support for a 7-week program (5K) in Fall 17 and Spring 18
- positive and supportive adult Running Mentorship from our great team of RBO Volunteers at Saturday practices
- please see the Student enrollment page for more info
- RBO is partnering with Brothers on the RIse - FREE ENROLLMENT FOR ALL STUDENTS when you sign-up for Brothers on the Rise program.
RBO provides your community (teachers and parents) with:
- discounted registration to multiple races
- blue(volunteer) tech running shirts
- coaching and training guidelines
- fantastic new friendships and connections
- offers to a couple of casual social events
- the chance to give back to the Oakland community in a refreshing way
- flyers to distribute and/or display in your school or community center
- visit to your school to present the program
- a session with RBO coaches to plan your team training
- connection to volunteers who might be able to help during the week
- feature your team on RBO website
- close tracking of the Half Marathon runners progress (timed several times over the 11-week program)
Your Team check-list:
- Identify a team leader……………………..The team leader helps with the logistics needed for the program to run smoothly at your school. The team leader is responsible for collecting completed registration forms and payment (or completed scholarship applications), as well as tracking attendance at each of the weekday practices. (we ask students to register online and will share the team roster with the Team leader and as long as the message is clear, we can collect the program fees or let you take care of it)
- Recruit a school coach……………………………....…In addition to a team leader, each team has a school coach. The school coach will follow the RBO training plan created by RBO’s USATF Certified Head Coach, and will run with the team. (the team leader and school coach can be the same person)
- Build your team……………………………..........…………You will recruit at your school, distributing information on the program that are typical of your school: PTA meetings, flyers in the office, loudspeaker announcements, notes to teachers, etc.
- Establish weekday running logistics………….You must have access to a meeting spot for once to twice weekly practices between Monday and Thursday. RBO provides the training plan for the season and hosts the at-large Saturday practices, but you will identify the days and times of weekday practices if any. Practices can be conducted during the school day, or independently after school hours. (#4 is optional!)
- Obtain principal or assistant principal approval if applicable………If you will be administering or coaching the team during school hours or on school property, you must ensure you receive the approval needed at your school.
- Recommended team’s registration fee amount……………………RBO is offered to any students interested in participating. The fees for the 5K program range from $10 – $30 per student. The fees for the half program range from $20 - $60 per student The cost is established for each school based on factors including, but not limited to, the percentage of students at the school who qualify for the free/reduced lunch program. Regardless of the registration fee assigned to your school, all students are eligible for financial aid as long as they agree to fill our short financial aid info sheet which is part of the enrollment form.
Team Application Form:
School Tier? Check here...